Thursday, February 17, 2011

Trash or Treasure?

They say the eyes are the mirrors of the soul. Meaning I guess that by looking at someone's eyes you can tell what kind of person they truly are. I don't know if that's true, but I would like to apply the theory to something more everyday. I'll call it "the minivan is the mirror of my life". This I do know to be true. The condition of my minivan is generally a very accurate reflection of the my life, I have to say. Today I attempted to clean it out, and found all kinds of things, none of which belonged at any time to me. An empty coffee cup from McDonalds, another from Krispy Kreme, an empty cardboard hot dog container from 7 Eleven, along with several napkins from all three of the above mentioned establishments. Two broken umbrellas, two working umbrellas. A backpack containing my husbands curling shoes, and his curling broom. A Tinkerbell rainjacket. A double bedsheet, 2 towels, a frisbee and a sandbucket, complete with some rocks and sand. Several reusable grocery bags, and two plastic grocery bins. Two empty wine bottles and an old jacket of my husbands. Four empty plastic water bottles. Okay, you get the picture, the list continues but I won't bore you with the rest of it.  So I bagged everything up and either threw them out or deposited them in the laundry room. You could map out the story of my family's day to day existence by the things I find in that car. Now expand that theory to my house. I swear that every horizontal surface in my home is magnetic, because no matter how many times I clear them off, I turn around and they are covered in crap again. My children and husband seem drawn to them like zombies..."ooohh, empty counter, must empty everything out of my pockets on to it....ohhhh, empty dining room table, must cover it with toys and crayons and half empty glasses of water..."And I run around behind them all like a deranged escaped lunatic shrieking "whose cup is this?? why are there socks on the coffee table?? who put pinecones and rocks on the buffet????"
And then they all just look at me, totally puzzled, and I realize that it's all just completely lost on them. Where my eyes see garbage, their eyes see treasures. And I do not have a clue how to change that, or if I even should. So I sigh and end up telling them to just put their stuff away - if it's precious, then at least treat it like it's precious, as I am handicapped in that way and cannot tell the difference between their trash and their treasure.  Maybe one day something will end up being worth a bijillion dollars, and I can hire a maid.

No comments:

Post a Comment